Google Map It

Even though 2 months may sound like a long trip, it's not. We have an ambitious route planned - one that would have us encircle nearly the entire country. Though plans are going to change and destinations will be added and subtracted, we've mapped ourselves out to have some sort of reference. So Follow Us

Saturday, March 21, 2009

I need a starbucks!

India is incredible! India is Fascinating! India is adventure! Jealous??? .... Don't be :)
India is of course all of these things, and being here feels like one of the greatest times of my life, but like all great things in life there is a price. And it seems only fair and funny to bring all of our family and friends on the inside loop of what that price entails.
So for all you blog fans siting at home wishing you were here with me on this dream vacation in paradise... please read and laugh about the following tortures I have suffered through in order to continue my journey!

The Train:
The 15 hour train ride from Goa to kerala was the inspiration for this blog subject. Sam and I choose to take the 2ND class sleeper train with no A/C. We didn't go for the more expensive a/c version because it was a night train and with the breeze it would probably be too cold. So our seats were not the best but also far from the cheapest version, so I expected something something half decent. Now many of you know, and many of you will learn that I don't do well in confined spaces... anxiety attack here I come! Keep this in mind!!
So first we waited for the train which was late by an hour and some, and then had to run with our huge backpacks and purses/etc over this crazy bridge because the train decided to come into a different track then we were told, DUH - why didn't I just run across all the train tracks instead like all the locals, then I wouldn't miss the train...

Anyways.. after all that I was ready to put down my stuff and relax. Sadly it was not to be because literally the train that we walked into looked like cell block number 5. This is when my Jewish princessness kicked in and literally the sight of this smelly, HOT, small, weird cubicle with half bed half seat devices with one small window and one small fan from 1968 almost brought me to tears. This was to be my home/ trap for the next 15 hours??? And at this moment I thought "I need a f'in STARBUCKS' - Ha! THen I looked over at Sammy and he is smiling away as usual, "Yeah Mish we got the top bunks!" He says with a grin. GREAT! It is true they are considered the best seats because the bunks are actually stacked three on top of each other and the lower ones resemble when the Japanese tourists slept in the armoire in that Seinfeld episode. But still these upper bunks are FAR far far from luxury. HE ;)
I guess they wouldn't be that bad actually if we had a separate place to put our luggage. BUT the sections are SMALL, and worstly the theft on these trains is HIGH. So your bag actually ends up taking up most of your seat while you try to sleep in a ball in the corner holding our valuables in between your thighs to protect them.
Sammy actually constructed this insane bag/chain/ lock/ device that made our bags fairly difficult to get to, but we had heard so many horror stories about tourists loosing their things I could think of nothing else. So I spent the entire night holding my purse with my teeth trying to sleep... I did manage to fall asleep a bit every now and again, but kept being woken up by vivid nightmares or shivers.

We take this malaria medication that has a reputation for messing with your mind and it gives you crazy dreams that feel so real, I basically dreamt the same thing on repeat all night...
"The train is stopped and somehow SaM got himself locked in this weird wooden cage, so I had to drag him around in a cage searching for our stolen passports and bags in a pile of huge piles of garbage."

The shivering came from open door right beside my "bed", Ya they just have wide open doors on the Indian rail way.... ummm Kinda windy??? hehem - dangerous too I guess ;). I shouldn't complain I had a towel for a blanket ;)

Besides that everything was ok I guess... I mean the washroom smelt like death vomit and we were right beside it the whole time, but no biggie ;) I avoided the latrine for as long as I possibly could, but it was at a time of the month where the washroom was not optional... if You know what I mean - it was GROSS :( he!

I guess It sounds like I had a fairly miserable time... but strangely I didn't. Situation like this are fairly normal in this crazy place, and Sammy did buy me a surprise toblerone for breakfast! YEAH - I am so easily amused!
BUt it has to be said it one of many experiences so far that have left we craving a hot shower, the movie channel, and a starbucks!

So next time you are wishing you were here with me, ask yourself this... Could you handle it???
Think mosquito bites galore.... poop pretty much Everywhere, like in every single place, various illnesses... along with just some general craziness that is too special to explain.

BUt you should also remember, this blog is all in good fun, and truly I am having a great time, which of course I was reminded of on our glorious train experience when I met a man from Spain that actually got Malaria here! OUCH.

Well Friends enough fun for now... please stay tuned for more of my complaints and amusements, and I hope you are laughing with me.

M.



3 comments:

  1. What no Starbucks in India!!!OMG Misha how are you even surviving!!!
    Remember when you were packing for Israel and had to limit your shoe contents of the suitcase, wondering how you would survive with so few shoes...little did you know what else your future had in store for you. Sounds like shoes are the least of your worries now.
    It truely is funny- just when you think things are pretty bad, then it goes from bad to worse, all you can do is laugh.
    Poor Misha, I'm sorry but I am having a really good laugh at picturing all of this. I am sure that you now appreciate the finer things of home, like a bed and a bath (&flush toilet) LOL.
    Sam, you deserve a medal! Keep on Smiling and Keep on Laughing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Misha, you are my kind of gal. I do not camp and roughing it is going in a winabego without a/c. I do not do well without a potty and now in my old age, it must be a flushable one. I give you credit for what you are putting up with and also dealing with my son. Sam can be sweet and he must really like you to be that patient. I KNOW about his ways. Laughing aside, I must admit that Sam likes his starbucks too, both seem to be enjoying your trip and having some fun. Keep the stories coming. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be lying if I told you that I wish I were there with you and Sam. As Sam will testify I do not travel without soap, water and flush toilets--and lots of Purel. Sorry, but as much fun as the two of you seem to be having, I would much prefer the 5 Star hotels at Jackson Hole.

    ReplyDelete