Google Map It

Even though 2 months may sound like a long trip, it's not. We have an ambitious route planned - one that would have us encircle nearly the entire country. Though plans are going to change and destinations will be added and subtracted, we've mapped ourselves out to have some sort of reference. So Follow Us

Monday, February 23, 2009

Night Bus Thievery ;)

Was it yesterday that we took a sleeper bus from New Delhi to Jaipur? A sleeper bus...how do I explain this? Instead of luggage compartments they have apartments...wait.

Got a nice pad to it, but the traffic outside and the bumps on the road won't give you a moments rest. When you don't sleep at night the days seem to blend into themselves like a fine silk-cotton blend of a Rajasthani Sari - with all the print and color they're famous for.
Misha and I spent the first day defeating the grogginess by sleeping off half of it in what turned out to be one of the best beds that came our way since before Israel. Thank you Chit Chat Guesthouse. The other half was surpisingly productive with an auto-rickshaw taking us outside of Jaipur proper to Amber Fort (pictured below). This turned out to be our favorite destination so far. After mazing our way through the labyrinthine innards of the 16th century palace of the Kachwahas (fine I had to look that up), we rickshaw'd down the mountainside to the Water Palace, took a photo, obliged the driver to a courtesy stop in a textile factory to which he should receive commission if were to buy anything (we didn't), then finished up the day with a sunset view from Monkey Temple above Jaipur.
...Monkey Temple...it's the place where you go to get good views and feed monkeys with a Rs10 bag of peanuts for a chance to snap a couple good photos. What the hell? Of course I reminded Misha that these are the famed thieving monkeys that you hear about on Animal Planet. Watch your shiny things Misha. These are monekeys and they're smart. Well, I held off feeding the ones at the bottom of the hill because I wanted good views from above with the monkeys. That didn't fly with those crafty bastards. Midway up, touting the bagged peanuts in hand, something grabbed at my swinging right hand. From behind! Took that bag right from me, Misha and I giving a mild shriek at the sheer surpise and craftiness of that SOB. I had to watch from a distance that fool monkey open the bag of peanuts and eat them, Misha laughing at me, totally disgraced, absent of peanuts.
So Jaipur, the Pink City, isn't anything to rave about but it's all an adventure and we're pulling the early bus to Pushkar.

Above: Amber Fort, Jaipur, Rajasthan

1 comment:

  1. Well, I expected you would know more about the cleverness of monkeys since you once were a flying monkey yourself. I couldn't help but laugh as I read this.
    read this.
    Both of you keep safe and take care of each other. I am writing this on Thursday the 26th. I am missing any blogs since this one so please get back to us soon.

    ReplyDelete